Busy Bee

Busy Bee

Monday, January 18, 2010

For the York Children

I actually wrote this in 2008 for my goddaughter and her siblings, who are all very sweet & genuine children. I went to school with their parents who are good friends of mine, and have done a terrific job raising, teaching and guiding their kids.

The intention was to put it into a book, which I intend to do...someday...one of these years...when things slow down....

Lily Rose

Never has there been a flower
as fair as Lily Rose
Whom in all her gentle sweetness,
around a garden grows

Surrounded in this beauty
by shrubs, flowers, bushes, trees -
singing birds and crawling bugs
and wondrous creatures such as these

But her favorite is the little
busy, buzzing Catherine Bee
Who takes the nectar from the flowers;
oh-so-merrily

She flies around the garden
with a smile on her face,
then a wink and off she goes
disappeared without a trace

Lily sways within her garden,
it's sweet fragrance she inhales
As the Meghan Bird takes flight
and across the garden sails

Over lakes and streams and mountains
not a worry or a care,
having many grand adventures
as she journeys through the air

But as the day comes to an end
and the sun begins to set,
Meghan Bird returns for night
free of stresses or regrets

She wiggles and gets comfy -
cozy, snuggled in her nest,
While Catherine Bee relaxes,
sleepily settling for rest

Just then the Little Prince comes out
and takes his royal seat
Upon a lily pad he's perched
bobbing to the mellow beat

Of the crickets and cicadas
dreamy, soothing, evening song
that puts the garden all to sleep -
that chorus sweet and long

Prince Adam in his dark green suit
and giant, knowing eyes
lets out a deep, long croak -
a bit of wisdom from the wise

Luminous moonlight glows against
the vast, deep navy sky,
sprinkled endlessly with stars;
some of which go shooting by

Ever slowly Lily Rose
tips her stem and falls asleep,
into a nighttime slumber
that is fitful, rich and deep

Full of dreams about her garden
as her pretty petals doze -
for nowhere is there a flower
as fair as Lily Rose
© Amber Davis

P.S. - But I do need to find an illustrator for my book (hint, hint James.....)

So while I type this Morgan INSISTS on being curled up on my lap. For those who don't know, I have a mole he is obsessed with back from his infant days. He had a melt down and needed comforted because he couldn't have desert before lunch. Anyhow, after wriggling around like he had ants in his pants to the point of which was driving me crazy, he finally fell still, fell limp against my chest and fell asleep. So he's now quietly snoring on my lap...his finger still attached to what he calls "my mole." I'm not going to lie, I worry a little about this freakish obsession of his.

2 comments:

  1. That's really good Amber! I definitely couldn't draw them but I had some images popping my head as I read it. Well Done and thanks for sharing :)

    Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem, Amber. I don't know if my illustrations could do it justice!

    ReplyDelete