Busy Bee

Busy Bee

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Third Rock From the Sun

We might be sandwiched between Venus and Mars, but I don't feel like my feet have touched the ground. Life has been a whirlwind of chaos - a phenomenon of motion that my brain has been unable to keep up with. I made two recent trips to Texas for the last rounds of back and forth between our houses, neither of which was really home. One had most of our furniture and belongings, the other was shaping up to become our future home and housed us temporarily on air mattresses, with Vera Bradley bags lining the wall and a large tub of cold weather hats, scarfs and mittens packed to the rim. Big boots with melting snow sat on the rug inside the front door, and a kitchen floor full of buckets and cleaning supplies, garbage bags, paint trays, brushes, rollers, etc. with misc. tools scattered here and there.

On the last trip to Texas I did our final move. Tristen and Byryson stayed back in Indiana, while Halle, Caden and Morgan hung out with the cousins in Oklahoma. Cousin Bubba, (also known as Emily) accompanied me on this final trip. It was a blessing to have Em with me because she has a great sense of humor. She constantly had me laughing, which made it much less sad. We had great packers and movers, and Graebel's #1 Driver, but when it's all said and done and you're left with a shell of a home, it's a really lonely sight. No more comfy furniture to fill a room, no photos smiling from the walls and no laughter to fill the air. Nothing but the memories that get dredged up as you walk through each vacant room. So as with every other home I've left, the final walk through is a really sad one for me, with a sort of heaviness in your heart at this attachment to this house you've made a home. All hope is not gone of course, for a new adventure awaits not far off the shore of Lake Michigan. A home with plenty of the quirks and character that I so appreciate, with a big yard and the wildlife that we are all so fond of.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Am!
    I really want to come up and visit you since it's been way too long! I actually have Andersen for a long weekend in June (22-26th)and that would be a good time for me to come up. Would that work for you?
    Although, I heard from Mike and Reggie your new house is haunted? If this is true, we'll stay at a hotel.
    Andersen would have so much fun with your kids. He would fit in with Tristen and Bryson as he thinks he's 13 but would get along great with Caden and Morgan...
    Just email me or I can try and call sometime when you're free.
    Let me know!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda...got a good chuckle at your post. The eldest started the ghost rumors in his resistance to the move...now it's a running joke. But who knows, my chocolate Dove's have been disappearing & it seems there is always pee on the toilet seat. No one here is guilty of the charges.

    Would love to have you and Andersen visit. The dates above sound great. You can help me finish unpacking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew...that's good to know! Me and ghosts don't do too well together so I was kind of worried.
    Well then it's a date! Mark it on the calendars! I'm soooooooooo excited! Yeah!!!
    And I would absolutely love to help you with any projects that you need done...(not kidding).

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two suck! But you will have a wonderful time! Urchin, Landon was saying he wanted to go to the mountains and to Amber's house. It made me think we should make 2 mandatory trips a year for the cousins to hang out. My boys love your kids and I want to make sure they get all the memories we had with our cousins. Let me know what you think :)
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good Chand. I already told my kids we'll visit OK every February when I'm good and sick of the MI winters dragging on - they all concurred. And February is a pretty quiet month, after the holiday & birthday rush but before spring when you get busy with outdoor projects.

    ReplyDelete