Busy Bee

Busy Bee

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pig In a Blanket


When we were in Indiana getting ready for the long drive back to Texas I opened the back of the truck to find that Halle had so lovingly wrapped up her piggy in "blue blanky" and stuffed it into her purse that was a gift from Aunt Chandra. I laughed to myself and grabbed my camera.

As I'm posting: All five kids traipse in to see what I'm doing. Tristen reads the post out loud while Bryson laughs and Halle's eyes well with tears.

"Why?" she wants to know.

I explain to Halle what a pig in a blanket is and why I took the photo. The three oldest boys are laughing. She starts crying and says, "I left my pig at Grandma Karen's." She has tears streaming down her cheeks as she explains she had him in the car, but somehow left him behind. But now she's on my lap and absolutely sobbing.

And so I look at my boys, still smirking and snickering. Tristen says that "no" he didn't take it.

Bryson still laughing, "No, it wasn't me."

Halle's still crying.

"Tristen?" He's adamant that it wasn't him.

So I look to the right, where there stands a very quiet little boy, "Caden?"

His response is a simple, "Yeah."

All then he starts in with his excuse. He'd heard the boys talking about Halle's piggy and since sometimes she makes him mad, well....

He patted Halle's back while she cried and apologized.

But little Morgan was the most protective of all. The only brother who didn't laugh at her while she cried, and after everyone had cleared out of my room he came back and told me that Halle left her piggy. I sort of nodded my acknowledgement. He walks out and yells, "Hal, you're gettin' a new piggy."

2 comments:

  1. Poor, poor Halle. Next summer I'll trade you Amelia for a couple of your boys. Give the girls a fighting chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picturing Halle sobbing "goes straight to m heart" as I hold back my tears.
    Caden needs to treat his sister better.

    As usually good short story from the author>

    :)- Dad - (:

    ReplyDelete